Please log in or Register. Thanks.
Please log in or Register. Thanks.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
zzz3
Active User
Active User
zzz3

@PSN : ZUEY
Rep : 13
Registration date : 2010-01-14

PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free Empty
PostSubject: PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free   PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:21 pm

I thought i would add this thread since nobody should be paying for what is likely a manufacturers defect, based on the increasing amounts of YLOD's (Yellow Light of Death) Playstation 3 owners are experiencing. The method has worked for me and others as well and relies solely on email, which requires a lot of patience, so if turn around time is important to you, i would look towards one of the many independent shops that will repair it at almost half the price and in a much shorter time frame compared to Sony. My launch 60GB PS3 was repaired early 2009, so a few of the details may no longer be relevant or make sense, but the general process nonetheless is the same.

1. Send an email explaining your situation, and request a repair.
http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/ask

2. They will respond by saying that your PS3 will need to be diagnosed and provide you with a number to call in for the repair.

3. You then need to respond saying that $169+tax, if im not mistaken, is unreasonable. Here is where you need to make your case. Some things to include would be that you are a lifelong and loyal Sony owner; you have purchased thousands of dollars worth of Sony equipment; the level of service provided in the past was excellent, in comparison to the current situation; your other Sony products, i.e. older playstations never experienced any issues. You can shoot for the moon if you would like, heck tell them you own a pearl projector!

4. Anyways, the response will be indifferent, which is to be expected and hence the need for patience. You will then need to request that your email be forwarded to a manager or supervisor.

5. The response, with absolute certainty, will be another no. Most corporations will never do anything out of good will unless under the threat of public scrutiny. At this point you will need to forward your emails to your local consumer affairs columnist or tv personal (i.e. Pat Foran of CTV or Sean O'Shea at Global TV). I would recommend the Toronto Star's Ellen Roseman as an example, who helped me out in this matter. I forwarded the emails to her and asked for her help. Be sure to let them know that you are an avid reader or viewer of their respective medium (i actually look forward to her columns). You will also need to CC (carbon copy) an email to Kyle Moffatt, Sony Canada's PR rep.

eroseman@thestar.ca
http://www.ellenroseman.com/

Kyle Moffatt, SCE Canada
(416) 791-4060
kyle_moffatt@playstation.sony.com

6. Within a short period of time, you should have a response from all parties involved as well as a free repair from MTC in Oshawa, they are responsible for Sony's warranty work in Canada.

In my case i had already sent my PS3 in and paid for the repairs, but it was immediately refunded back to my credit card. I also received my original unit back which is rare, given the reports that most people receive refurbs back instead (to cut down on turn around time as these previously repaired units are ready and waiting to be sent out).

7. Lastly, remember to include all your contact information in all correspondence, and to always be polite but firm.

Sources:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/ps3-repair-shop-786825/#post9386543
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/ylod-ps3-repair-experience-750793/4/#post9948997

Last edited by zzz3 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:26 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : update)
Back to top Go down
zzz3
Active User
Active User
zzz3

@PSN : ZUEY
Rep : 13
Registration date : 2010-01-14

PostSubject: Re: PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free   PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:25 pm

I can also add repair shops if you guys know of any good places. My PS3 is acting up again, and if it dies i will likely just get it fixed for cheap or flip it for a slim PS3, because i dont think i can take waiting around/arguing again.
Back to top Go down
HardCoreGamer
HardCoreGamer

Rep : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free   PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Great guide for people who has the YLOD.
I wish I found a guide like this before dishing $150 to fix my 80 GB PS3 lol.
+1 Rep.
Back to top Go down
Starpower
Noob
Noob
Starpower

Rep : 3
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free   PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:30 pm

+1 rep from me as well..
Im sure someone can find this very useful Smile
Back to top Go down
DIVINA__
DIVINA__

@PSN : DIVINA__
@XBOX : PR08LEMZ
Rep : 58
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free   PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 12:08 pm

i dont know if you guys know this but do you guys with the fat ps3's ever use the system hardware cleaner? you can actually use the fan inside to clean your system. though it is kind of dangerous to use it to much, it should be used at least once a month
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free   PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PS3 YLOD: How to get it fixed for free
Page 1 of 1